Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yet Another Touchstone Passage

I'm not just trying to add up my blog posts, I swear. This assignment was exciting for me, because so many of these books are a part of me, of what I think, and I want to share it with Dr. Sexson and the class.
After taking Intro to Classical Lit. with Dr. Sexson, and hearing him recite the opening passage of Lolita to us, I had to go out and buy the book. I like the book, but I love the opening passage. And I still hear Dr. Sexson's voice reading it...

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tounge taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
"She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing fourfeet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was alsway Lolita."

No comments: