Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Don Quixote


First Part, Chapter VI, pg. 52
"'I would shed [tears] myself,' said the priest when he heard the name, 'if I had sent sucha book to be burned, because its author was one of the famous poets on only of Spain but of the world, and he had great success in translating some fables by Ovid."

I guess I touched upon this in my last passage, but who the author is seems to be of great importance to the priest. Authors are often made into something marketable, whether they fit it or not. Authors who have had success are expected to maintain it: Steven King, anyone? I can only recall a few things he's written, but I would expect certain things of his novels. What about Dan Brown...anything besides a history/thriller would throw me off, and maybe I wouldn't like it because it conflicted with what I wanted. But to stay on track. The Author's name alone, whether any information is known or not, influences readers.

No comments: