Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What's in a name?

I guess Mathew Arnold's argument that poetry can replace religion doesn't seem very radical to me. It's logical, if passion for poetry can be logical (which I don't think it can. It's emotional). If I can generalize about the way in which the Hebrew Bible was meant to be read, it's a collection of stories. Some are instructive, some are allagorical, but some are just beautiful. I'm not religious, but I can appreciate the beautiful poetry of a culture.
My touchstone passages are those because I can't help but think of them, sometimes once a day. Or sometimes I forget about them for a long time, but every time I read them, whether it's the second time or the hundreth, I'm moved. I think that's what church is supposed to do for you, once a week or month or year you feel moved by your expereince there. I wouldn't know. But poetry moves me, the rhythm of words moves me, the cadence can be comforting.
Sometimes it's the words, other times it's just the idea of beauty or strenght that it creates.
Here's another one:
Kubla Khan, the first and last stanza

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A Stately pleasure dome decree:
Where Alph the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to the sunless sea...

That sunny dome! Those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there
And all should cry Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes! His floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the mild of paradise

No comments: