Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Don Quixote

First Part, Chapter VI, pg. 47
"'The author of that book,' said the priest, 'was the same one who composed Garden of Flowers, and the truth is I can't decide which of the two is more true, or should I say, less false; all I can say is that this one goes to the corral, because it is silly and arrogant.'"

I know we've talked about chapter six in reference to censorship, but I wanted to look at it again. I found the scene very comical, whereas censorship usually irks me to no end. But it is also declaring a larger Truth about literature, that it should be more true, less silly and arrogant. But the priest is imposing a value on Don Quixote's books. It is a tragedy that many fine books get lost in the mean time.

No comments: