Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Melody

Are there different kinds of the sublime? Because my Song of the Moment, the song that I've been listening to over and over lately, well, I still don't know all of the words. So silly question: is poetry really about the words? Essentially, poems need words, but the emotion that is brings out in you is what makes any piece a personal touchstone. I might have chosen my first touchstone, the dream-banter from Romeo and Juliet, because of the way it sounds in the Baz Lurhman movie. I understand Chris' touchstone, because sound, melody, rhythm can reach the sublime, maybe easier, than any words can. The right words can trigger those emotions, but music is almost easier because it requires no translation, it speakes directly to the sublime.
Some musc that are Touchstones:
Seven Year Ache, by Roseanne Cash
Panch and Lefty, by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggerd
"The poets tell how Pancho fell
And Lefty's living, in cheep motels
The deserts quiet, and Clevland's cold
So the story end's we're told
Pancho needs your prayers it's true
But save a few for Lefty too
He only did what he had to do
And now he's growing old"
And writing the words, I know that I can't possibly translate the real poetry that is in the quiver of Merle Haggerd's voice in addition to his words.

Also, the Classical Techno Remix of the matrix theme song...but I think I love it for the piano solo.

Clapton's Layla, for the music part, though, more than any lyrics.

No comments: