Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Don Quixote and the Low Mimetic

Maybe it's just taken me the entire semester for this to click, but I had a light-bulb moment about 200 pages into Don Q: the novel, while it contains all four seasons, is basically a low-mimetic account of a romantic knight's journey.
I knew that Don Quixote lived in the low-mimetic phase and that he dreamed of the Romantic...but I think this goes beyond what was said in class...or my idea is exactly what Dr. Sexon said, I just didn't put it together until Sancho and Don Q spen 1 paragraph getting their butts kicked and the next page and a half lying in the field discussing how badly they are hurt and whether to seek revenge against their assailants for the damage done.
The novel spends as much time or more talking about how much wine Sancho drinks, whether or not Don Q sleeps, and how hungry they are as it does about their adventures and conflicts. It's humorous because Don Quixote doesn't know if knights errant are allowed to sleep because he's never read an account of it: by definition Romance does not concern it's self with the mundane events of life like the Low-mimetic does.
so, my appologies if this is simply a repetition of a point that has been made all semester long, but I gained a new perspective reading instead of simply listening to the genius insights of Dr. Sexson.

No comments: