Henry Louis gates

Henry Louis gates
This is me...

Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Friday, September 12, 2008

Criticism is Everywhere in Literature.

I am a critic, though not as pompus as "Anton Ego", I hope. More often than not, I dislike a book. I either have a feeling that the author is only writing to sell copies, that he or she is trying to be something that they aren't, or that even I could have done a better job. Whether that's my own ego emerging or the fact that I've experienced really good books, I'm not sure. Maybe where the authors of mediocre books fall short is that they worry too much about the critics. This is a problem since every reader is, in my opinion, a critic.
Virginia Woolf said, "Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond reason the opinions of others". What is essential to writers is to forget the critic; what is essential to the critic is to forget his own critic--and to criticize truely what he reads. Because professional critics, such as Frye, often write books and use words, they create literature.
So, against many more educated decrees, I will continue to criticize William Wordsworth.

No comments: